Persian Cucumber and Walnut Soup
This vegan variation of a beautiful Persian recipe – Mast’o Khiar – is perfect for Summer to help cool you down and not make you feel too full. It will also stimulate your digestive juices in preparation for the following courses. Yoghurt is a very typical food in this country and you can use that if you’re not vegan, however if you are, why not substitute coconut cream or milk with a touch of lemon for the tang.
- 1 lebanese cucumber cut in small cubes. Keep the skin on as it’s easy to digest.
- 1/2 cup full cream coconut milk (for a truly raw alternative simply make your own batch of coconut milk with coconut flakes and pure water blended and strained – make sure it is extra rich and creamy)
- 1/2 cup iced water
- salt and pepper to taste
- few leaves of mint, dill and chives.
- chopped walnuts – as many as you prefer
- dried rose petals
- almonds chopped (optional)
- juice from half a lemon, Yen Ben variety is the tangiest.
- Blend all the herbs ( mint, dill, chives ) with the water, coconut milk and lemon juice until a very smooth consistency.
- In each serving bowl put a few diced cucumbers and pour soup over them. Top with saffron, walnuts and almonds.