A lovely, pineappley flavoured, probiotic drink for Summer.
- 2 litres filtered or spring water
- 220gm raw sugar (organic if poss)
- 1 pineapple
- Bring 250 ml water to boil
- Add sugar to a 2 litre wide-mouthed jar then pour in boiling water.
- Stir till sugar is dissolved. Add enough of the remaining filtered water to three quarters fill the jar. Set aside to cool
- Wash outside of pineapple and using a very sharp knife cut off the skin taking with it some of the flesh.
- Add this to sugar water and stir vigorously.
- Top up the jar to fill it.
- Cover jar with piece of muslin or cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band.
- Place jar away from sunlight in a warm place and leave to ferment for 1-7 days
- Stir it every day, making sure pineapple pieces are under the liquid.
- When the taste is to your liking, remove and discard the pineapple skins and skim off any foam and scum from top of mix.
- Using a funnel and a sieve pour into tall narrow necked jars with wire clip top lid.
- Leave these bottles on the bench to build up the fizzyness – 1-3 days.
- Make sure to ‘burp’ every day. Store in fridge to slow fermentation.
- Add sliced mint leaves to 2nd fermentation or 2 cinnamon sticks, or 2 small chillis cut in half lengthwise, or use it in your next pina colada.